From:
Calvin Burnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 08:14:41 -0700
At 12:14 PM 8/6/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I meant monounsaturates.  Is this a simple terminological issue,
>or is there a real difference between monosaturated fat and
>monounsaturated fat.

we are talking about the same thing.  i used the wrong name.
indeed, they are referred to as monounsaturated fat (MUFA) .

>Then what explains the substantial beneficial effects of olive
>oil?

i have no read the studies that indicate this is true, so i can't comment on
this.
perhaps someone else can.

>I'm not sure what the sufficient quantities are.  At this time, I
>am using 9 grams of fish oil per day, which seems like it ought
>to be enough.  I eat nuts at random throughout the day and can't
>estimate what the total PUF content might be.

this seems a bit high.  the problem with EFA supplementation is that it is a
tricky business.  just as important as the quantity is the balance between
the EFAs, namely omega 3 and omega 6.  getting too much omega 3 can deplete your
omega 6, and vica verca.  i am also a believer in individuality, so i think
our needs for omega 3 and omega 6 can differ greatly.  but 9 grams of fish oil
a day seems a bit high.  Erasmus, in his book 'fats that heal, fats that kill'
recommends 3-5 large fish oil capsules for those who have an omega 3 deficiency.
i haven't confirmed this, but it seems the large fish oil capsules would be
about
1 gram each.

my own personal feeling on this is to watch the body carefully for signs as
to whether or
not you are getting the right quantities and balance of oils.  one key
indicator is the skin.
dry skin can often indicate the you are not getting enough EFAs or your balance
is out of whack.  Erasmus also suggests this, but his recommendation are vague.
he says that he can tell when he is getting too much omega 3 when his skin
becomes
thin and cracked.  i feel like i can tell when i am getting too much omega
3, which for
me is easy to do.  i start to feel very sick and fatigued.  i know that
suggesting
that one 'watch ones body' is a very vague approach, but i think it is the best
way to find out what really works for each of us.  do you notice any
benefits from
taking this much fish oil?  do you have any side affects from doing this?

>I recall that a recent study, discussed by Kurilla on the Zone
>list, appears to demonstrate that alpha-linoleic acid has
>beneficial effects apart from its eventual conversion to EPA, but
>no one has yet figured out why this should be.

i have heard this claim.  i have also heard the claim that some people
are not able to convert the alpha-linoleic acid to EPA adequetly, and
that these people should supplement their diets with EPA/DHA sources.
probably a bit of both is a good idea.