From:
gerard farrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 22:08:58 +0100
>Has anyone been to a "male" Dietitian?

Hi. Grant!
I haven't been to one but I recall when my Doctor
first diagnosed me as diabetic he handed me the diet sheet which
he recommended I go on. It was issued by the Irish Diabetic Assoc;
When I read down the list of allowables I saw "McVitie's Digestive
Biscuits" I knew there and then that they had it wrong. (I had been a
reader of Atkins' newsletter and had read a lot of what he had to say
about diabetes without knowing I had it myself. But I knew from Atkins
that you don't treat a carbohydrate intolerence with carbos. Can you
imagine going to your MD and saying to him "Doc, I've been taking heroin
for the past few months and it keeps sending me as high as a kite and I
know, Doc, that it's ruining my insides. Please help." And then the Doc
reaches for his prescription pad and says " I want you to continue taking
the heroin cos I know you like the lift it gives you. Just cut down on your
fat intake though, as fat is lethal, and I'm prescribing a little something
stop the heroin damaging your insides". They haven't a clue how to treat
it IMHO.

Kind regards,

Gatsby