BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 05:53:12 -0600
Ken

Thanks for the draft report on your trip to Poland.  We certainly do take
our freedoms and educational opportunities for granted in America.  It
truly is a travesty that so many parents and children do not realize the
value of a broad education.  Education should not be geared simply toward
the next grade or attending college.  The goal of education should be to
create a desire to learn, to read, to think, to be curious, and, yes, to
have a foundation of knowledge from which to build.  The aim of education
should not be merely to finish.

So many working people don't have time for such foolishness as touchy-feely
poetry.  They do have time for television and other diversions, though.
All too often the need for constructive, creative expression is denied.

I really believe that creativity is squelched at quite an early age.  I
overhear parents talking to their children and discouraging their efforts.
Teachers have too many children per classroom to be able to effectively
foster creativity.  Children ridicule creative kids.  In our society
creative people are thought to be odd and for kids that's a tough burden to
carry around.

Stetson