Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Betty Guyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:22:38 -0500
There was a couple of recipes posted on the LC list that sounded great.
I copied  a or two and will try to post them.  I believe they are
Passover recipes. You all may already have these, but just in case.  She
had one for chopped liver and one for chopped eggs and onions that I
saved.  Any interest, let me know.

Betty

MYRA'S SCHMALTZ

For the unintiated, schmaltz is chicken fat rendered with onions.  Way
back
before margarine was
invented, rendered chicken or goose fat was used instead of butter for
meat
meals.  Schmaltz
adds the most wonderful flavor to foods, and we LCers can count ourselves
lucky that we can
indulge!  I recommend using it in other recipes where called for.

3-4 cups raw chicken fat and skins
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt

In a skillet over moderate heat, cook the chicken fat and skin pieces
until
the fat liquifies out and the solid pieces shrink and become golden
brown.
Add the onion and cook until the skins and onion are very crisp and dark
brown (but not burned).  Remove from heat.

Remove the crispy bits with a slotted spoon (see note).  Add the salt to
the
fat, stir and let stand until cool, but still liquid.  Pour into a glass
jar
or container and keep in the refrigerator or freezer.  Will keep almost
indefinitely.

Makes about 1 cup schmaltz.

NOTE:  The leftover crispy bits are called "griebenes," and are the
Jewish
version of fried pork rinds, so enjoy them as a snack (I always do!).

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]