Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 20:00:52 -0800
>What I'm having a bit of a hard time with is what do I do when we go to
>birthday parties, or when mothers bring in "poison" treats to her gym,

Dear Jacki,

We live in a sugar and wheat coated society.

I never really realized just how much until I tried to make my two older
kids go paleo. They are plied with sugar every day at school by other kids,
there are I can't tell you how many different "celebrations" at their school
with cupcakes and ice cream, and on and on and on. I never realized just how
much until I became aware of paleo, then I was completely shocked at the
diets of kids at their school.

Not to mention, soccer practice, baseball practice, dance practice, even the
barber, they are plied constantly  with sugar treats and I am always the
baddie by saying no.

I think it would be possible if you started your kid paleo at day one like
Ray did, but I personally don't have the answer of how to do it with a kid
who is already addicted to carbs. Does anyone know?? Please, tell us your
secrets? And, what about summer camp, how would a paleo kid survive a summer
camp, or an overnight at someone else's house?

All I am doing right now with my older kids is trying to limit refined sugar
and promote whole foods as much as possible. I have given up on paleo with
them as I don't have the energy to track everything they eat and even if I
did, at school I have absolutely no control over what they eat.

I don't have an answer for you

.Your child is only 3, if you really want her paleo I would suggest home
school, as the schools are literally chock a block full of junk food.  Even
the math classes revolve around food. My daughter at Valentine's Day time
had to bring in sugar hearts with sayings on them to do a math project, then
the kids ate them. That goes on all the time. What are the teachers
thinking? No wonder they can't control the kids! Almost every time I pick
them up, they are consuming a cupcake for this or that celebration, even if
the local NFL team wins, it is time to haul out the sugar at school.

I tried to make my older kids go paleo but it became such a battle and
struggle, I don't have the strength to do it. Even if you could make your
child eat a paleo breakfast and dinner (I'm saying  IF  you could) you still
have the constant sugar, wheat, starch at school. You should see how kids'
lunches look now, compared to when we grew up. My kids told me about it and
I did not believe them, till I saw it with my own eyes. (I did lunch duty
and observed)

Has ANYONE other than Ray taken their kids completely paleo???Can you share
your secrets??