BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS The historic preservation free range." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:37:12 -0600
In a message dated 17 Dec 1997 10:55:51 EST Ken writes:

>Being humorous, or saying the occasional stupid thing, puts others at ease to
>be themselves.

 Boy, people are so at ease around me--now I know why!  Occasional!  I wish!

A few thoughts on both side of the fence.  Agree or disagree at will:

Some people are serious to avoid any detection of their innermost being.
Being serious keeps others at an arm's length.

Seriousness may also be a reflection of a need to be in control of one's
environment and silliness represents a loss of personal control.

For others, however, humor is a way to have control and be the center of
attention, ex. Robin Williams, Chris Rock, etc.

Ironically, humor can also be used to insulate one's self from ridicule and
pain, as in "I'll make fun of my big nose before you get the chance, and
then you'll tell me that my nose really isn't so big."

Humor takes more courage than seriousness.  Not everyone can joke about
their mistakes or shortcomings.

Humor can be indicative of a lack of self-confidence, and a way to keep
people from finding out one's actual insecurities and lack of knowledge.

Stetson

--
I can breathe in a small town . . . Taught to fear Jesus in that small town
. . .  And that's probably where they'll bury me."