NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
*smiles* <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:05:23 -0700
For Birthday's we usually go with a Duncan Hines cake and White Mountain
Frosting.
The frosting is always a big hit with the kids, because it's almost like
melted marshmellows on thier cake, its really sticky, and contains a lot of
sugars, but amazingly enough it inst really sweet tasting like most
frostings. I know it looks like a lot of preparation, but really it isnt, and
what little time it takes to make it, is well worth it. Here's the recipe if
any of you want to try it:

White Mountain Frosting

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 Tablespoons water
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in a 1 quart saucepan. Cover and heat to a
rolling boil over medium heat. Uncover and cook, without stiring, to 242* on
a candy thermometer or until small amountof mixture dropped into very cold
water forms a ball that flattens when removed from water. To get an accurate
temperature reading it may be necessary to tilt the saucepan slightly. It
takes 4 to 8 minutes for the syrup to reach 242*.
While the mixture boils, beat egg whites into a medium bowl just until stiff
peaks form. Pour hot syrup very slowly in thin stream into egg whites,
beating constantly on meduim speed. Add vanilla. Beat on high speed about 10
minutes until stiff peaks form. Preparing this frosting on a humid day may
require a longer beating time. Frosts a 13x9 inch cake or fills and frosts
two 8 or 9 inch cake layers.  (16 servings; 40 calories per serving.)

Nutritional Information (% of recommended daily allowance per serving)
10% carbohydrates
10% sodium