CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:16:14 -0800
_Excerpt from a televised dialogue between Noam Chomsky and Michel
Foucault, "Human Nature: Justice Versus Power"_

http://www2.uchicago.edu/jnl-crit-inq/foucault/foucault.chomsky.html

Also at

http://www.emich.edu/~linguist/issues/8/8-673.html#1
is
_The target of this part of the book would appear to be the Modern French
Intellectual tradition and the Postmodernism that it spawned. Chomsky is
quoted as saying that: "Intellectuals try to make it look difficult;
postmodernism carries this to extremes, in my opinion". In the section
"Chomsky on the French Intellectual Tradition", Chomsky is quoted as
saying: "almost no one in France has ever had any idea of what my
political or academic work is about" (p.196) this must be because they
have yet to learn "how to tell the truth, to pay attention to the facts
and to reach standards of minimal rationality" (p.197). Foucault comes
out relatively unscathed from the sideswipe at postmodernism. As Barsky
notes (p.195) "... Chomsky and Foucault are often on the same
wavelength"._

john konopak forwarded a message from Bea:
. . .
>I write you to ask  about an interview between Foucault and Chomsky. Do
>you
>know where to find it or what they talked about?
>
>Best regards
>
>Bea
. . .