BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:57:48 EDT
In a message dated 9/4/98 9:11:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I wonder what the dividing line is between keeping busy and not being
>  able to meet basic obligations.

I'm not sure where the dividing line is. When I get two flat tires at once
while rushing off to a pre-bid meeting I begin to think I might be close to
the line. I decided a while ago that if I go to a pre-bid and my car is towed
away then I will try not to get the job. I've been learning, by neccesity, to
turn marginal jobs away. Our estimating staff increased, so we increased our
marketing, then our estimating staff suddenly decreased and the load of RFP's
as a result is overwhelming. I look to Stephen Covey's time managment ideas to
keep a balance. Do the most important thing first and do not think about any
other things. Sometimes the most important thing is your own sanity, other
times your family. Work obligations are personal electives despite the
constant pressure from outside to perform. Increasingly I have to sit back and
ask myself if I really want anything to do with what I am being asked to
consider doing.

][<en