RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 May 1995 11:17:02 -0700
I usually don't eat raw potatoes, due to the obvious taste problem.
Instead, if I want to eat something starchy, I will eat Jerusalem
Artichokes (not an artichoke but the tuber of a type of sunflower;
native to North America, not Jerusalem) or Jicama.  Other starchy foods
edible raw include celery root (celeriac), parsley root (hard to find),
and of course sweet corn. Parsnips may fall into this category also, but I
haven't tried them.

There is a relatively new approach to "raw" foods that involves heating the
foods at 118 degrees Fahrenheit, for a long time. The claim is made that
such foods taste like cooked but still retain most of their enzymes.
I haven't tried foods prepared that way and am personally skeptical about
the claims of limited enzyme loss. I've seen recipes for potatoes prepared that
way - the Gabriel Cousens book "Conscious Eating"  has such a recipe. Although
I have reservations about this approach, my opinion is that if heating foods at
118 will get more people into raw and living foods diets, then it has real
merit.

Tom Billings