RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 01:48:39 -0300
At 00:50 16/02/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Axel,
>
>Nice to hear from you.
>
>Before I answer your mail I would like to make it quite clear that
>I am not offering you a treatment or a cure for your problems but
>merely some constructive criticism of your eating habits based on
>the positive experiences of myself and others.

understood.

>I did that 'til the age of 38!!
>
>> for four months back in 1994, i took a broad spectrum antibiotic to
>> treat acne, and in the summer of 1994, was very constipated and did not know
>> what to do. i started to feel week all the time.
>
>Antibiotics kill bacteria...including those responsible for healthy
>digestion and a healthy immune system in your intestines.

i found out about the problems of antibiotics later on, as it usually
happens, when i went to the states.

>> so i read fit for life and adopted the program overnight. my digestion
>> healed, at least everything seemed normal again.
>
>"Fit for Life" is not the answer to everything (unfortunately) but
>it is certainy an extremely better dietary regime than most people
>practice.
>
>> shortly afterwards, for a
>> few months, i did simultaneously bulimia eating all sorts of crap and raw
>> foods. it used to go like this: a few days raw, one day crap. on and on.

>Bulimia is a psychological problem. Were you obese at some time in your
>life...are you obese or does your general diet make you put on weight
>fast..have you consulted a psychiatrist?

i have never been obese, on the contrary, ironically when i was eating sad i
was strong and athletic.
i have seen a psychiatrist. later i read some things from the perspective of
"antipsychiatry" in the web, and it is really terryfing. of course not all
psychiatrist are the same, but in the same way that conventional medicine is
not, in general, the real answer for human health, i think that conventional
emotional "healing" paths like psychiatry are not the real answer for
emotional problems. what´s more, from what i have read in the web,
psychiatry is actually a very dangerous thing indeed.

>> in
>> september 1994 i fasted for two weeks, i was completely ignorant about it,
>> blind, and lost most of the muscles of my body.
>
>You won't loose muscle by fasting for 2 weeks (perhaps you were a
>bit "chubby" and thought this was muscle..or else merely..through
>fasting..added to the general problems of a bulemia sufferer).

i DID loose a lot of muscle, simply because i know my body, and remember how
it was before the fast and i had a good muscular mass. after the fast i was
skinny and weak, completely different.

>> also developed some digestive problem.
>> since then, my abdomen has been bloated and i could not gain weight at all,
>> not muscle nor fat.
>
>Fasting also has a negative effect on the intestinal flora and can
>also cause constipation (after the fast) if bowel irrigation in
>not practised during the fast.
>
>> 1995 i went to the states. the whole year.
>> saw many hygienists. gabriel cousens
>> treated me for candida and epstein-barr virus, that was detected in blood
>> work he ordered. for four months i was under his supervision, having
>> megadosis of vitamin drippings. and many supplements i do not remember the
>> names. nothing happened at all with my health after all that.
>
>Don't know Gabriel Cousens but vitamin drippings and supplements are
>not the mark of a natural hygienist..and it does not surprise me in
>the least that these "treatments" had little effect on your health.
>
>> from 1996 till the mid of 1997, i stayed all raw, basically was fruit,
>> seeds, juices, avos, greens. in 1997, i started eating cooked food again,
>
>Your fault....and you should have left out the seeds.

>> more and less clean stuff at the beggining but very soon, for emotional
>> reasons, i was eating all the crap, chocolate, cheese, pastry, etc i wanted,
>> everyday.
>
>Sounds to me like you are using food as a comfort or a substitute. You
>really should consult a psychiatrist.

yes, that is part of it.

>> in a few weeks, i gained like 50 pounds of water. i was all puffed.
>> very horrible.
>
>Could be a kidney failure and could be just the result of eating
>excessive salt.
>
>> this mad bulimia has been going on till now. the last year i ate basically a
>> crap diet, no fruit, little vegetables.
>> right now, i look very skiny and pale, but have plenty of water in my legs
>> and some in the rest of my body. i heard before this is not good, but
>> honestly i am clueless about what causes water retention beyond the food
>> factors. i mean, if i eat well and the water stays there.
>> several reasons prompted me to write:
>> one, i am really lost.
>
>Eating food..whether good or bad..and regurgitating it with the help of
>a finger or whatever..will never solve your problem. You need to consult
>a psychiatrist to find out WHY you are doing this.

>> two, when i participated two years ago, it was a very good experience for
>> me, people were really helping and sincerely interested and knowledgeable
>> and straightforward.
>> three, i have seen there are some health practicioners in the list who might
>> have a good idea about things like this.
>
>As I said..you first need to find out your psychological problem before
>consulting this list.

i have been working with a woman that is a psychologist with a wholistic
approach since i went back to cook food. she is not into food issues, but
yes into real emotional health.

>> four, there are no people down here knowledgeable about all this. zero.
>> i can go to the doctor, but i cannot tell them this story, because it is too
>> alien for them. specially if after all this you still want to go back to all
>> raw.
>> people simply think i have eating disorders, specially whenever i go back to
>> raw, even for a day.
>> so, i have been all raw for a week now, so far so good. i plan to keep at
>> it, but the sensation of something moving in my legs really bothers me.
>>
>Raw food will help you when you have solved your bulemia problem.

>> i forgot to mention something. during 1998 i took a small dosis of two
>> psychiatric drugs, one was a neuroleptic. i wonder if anybody knows about
>> anything that has helped others get rid of stuff like that, any food,
>> supplement, any technique, absolutely anything. one of the things i would
>> like to do is get a really good juicer from the states and juice a lot of
>> greens everyday, but i would need some 1000 dollars to buy it and have it
>> shipped here, so it will not happen any time soon, because i do not have
>> that money.
>
>You don't need to juice anything. Natural is always best.
>
>> i am taking just barley, though.
>
>Modern barley contains much too much gluten, a sticky protein which
>will add to your problem of not getting enough nutrients. Stay away
>from it.

just barley is a juice from barley leaves.

thanks for your input, alan.

  axel