RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:37:31 -0800

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:11:13 -0800, you wrote:
>re: kale.  Off-hand, I am not certain. Would have to hit the books
>for that, and I don't have time at present. Spinach and a  number of
>related plants contain oxalic acid which inhibit calcium uptake.

Tom:
I mention calcium/oxalic acid as an aside, make it very clear that I
really don't have the time to cite refs (as I am super busy with other
efforts), yet the questions on this topic simply won't stop. Folks, you
can access Medline as easily as I can. Instead of asking me, please check
Medline (available for free on the web, use search engine to find URL) or
the Biosis database (not on the web; some University libraries have
access). Thanks.

PS this is an example of how threads tend to take on a life of their own.
I never intended to start a discussion on exactly which veggies contain
exactly how much oxalic acid, or how nuch it is decreased by cooking.
It was and is my intent that folks seeking such details need to look
up the information in the scientific literature.

Signing off this thread...

Tom Billings