RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roy Holman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:38:48 EDT
Hi Liza, Roberta and all,

Great responses Liza:

 I'm trying to get back into the raw thing again, but
> it's not so easy this time - there's a part of me which is almost afraid of
> giving up the junk, and of feeling energetic and clear-headed again.
Liza said:  "Most people are afraid of this, especially in countries like the
US
where we're so heavily addicted to mind-numbing substances and habits
and distractions. Don't worry - you're in good company!! :-)"

I feel this accutely, especially being a recovering "addict" (alcohol, drugs,
food, etc.)  This fear of our power is a strong one.  It's like, "well,
someone else is going to whack me if I get too strong and clear, so it's
probably the lesser pain to just do it to myself."  With me it's taking the
edge off by mildly overeating, sometimes cooked food.

Then Liza said, in regards to my mentioning that no food is inherently "evil":

"However, that being said, lots of things we put in our mouths definately
make us sick. Some things are also misnamed 'foods' when really they're
not. I think part of what this list is about is trying to figure out
what things are actually nutrients, and what aren't, and how that
differs from one person to the next."

I totally agree with you.  I just think it helps to get a neutral perspective
as we study, experiment, and learn what foods and nutrients our bodies truly
want.

Lastly, thanks Roberta for great comments about grains and carbs.  This seems
to be true for me; even whole unrefined grains ("healthier" types of breads,
rolled oats, etc.) seem to trigger cook food cravings.  Cooked food itself,
meanwhile, seems to get me on a cycle of overeating, cravings for sweets, etc.
I almost feel like I'm going crazy when this happen - quite depressing.  There
does seem to be something about the seratonin connection.   I just don't seem
to get the nutrients my body needs when I eat cooked foods, and the craving
begin.  Seems to be quite a challenging part of this transition - it's almost
like "all or nothing".

Still, having said that, I'm doing quite better now that I pretty much kicked
the sugar addiction, replacing it with greens, sea veggies, and a few cooked
foods (brown rice, tempeh), and moderate amounts of raw animal products (I
know this is a veggie group, but I must be honest: goats milk, a couple eggs a
week, fish every week or two).

Love and light to all,

Roy