RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:00:09 -0500
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> If I add sugar in a fruit juice, the Brix value raises too.

Er, that's *bogus* Brix value.  I earlier posted exactly this example to
illustrate that sugar is a component of Brix, but Brix is not sugar.  A Brix
measure is applicable to the fresh juice or sap of a fruit or vegetable.  It's
the very antithesis of adulteration.

Go borrow a refractometer, test some good (if you can find it) fresh squeezed
juice (carrot, apple, citrus, whatever)---spike some with sugar to raise the
"Brix," and then promptly gag on the result.  Sugar does *not* improve taste and
flavor.  Actually, I find that, at least in the case of fruit preserves, it
blocks the full flavor of fruit.

Why do I have the feeling that you'll view any food charts on your shelves with
disdain once you truly understand the vast range of quality in any particular
variety of fruit or vegetable?

Regards,
Rex Harrill