RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 08:57:12 -0800
LIFE F0RCE wrote:

> << I assume you do eat instinctively? >>
> No - not really, as I described above.  Do you agree with Kirt that it is hard
> to get a stop when you are not really fully instincto?

Yes.  From your descriptions, probably would then be easy for you to eat
instinctively.  Not a big change.

> << Assuming you ARE getting "stops" with other foods >>
> Well I guess I'm not sure how to distinguish a "stop" from that regular
> familiar old "yuk I don't want any more of that" feeling that everyone,
> including SAD eaters, gets.

Sounds like you haven't experienced the taste change that people
describe who eat instinctively.  For me there is a taste change that is
very, very distinct where the taste changes from pleasant to sharp,
painful, stinging or something otherwise very obviously unpleasant and
there is no question that the taste of that same food will have seemed
to changed from "good" to "bad".  I like honey too.  But when I eat
honey, if I eat more than 1-2 spoonful(s), I get a distinct burning and
painful sensation in my throat.  That is the type of "stop" I'm talking
about.  Burger's text descriptions and instinctos discuss this as the
"stop" to re-learn.  After reading it I decided it sure wouldn't hurt me
to experiment and try that routine.

Here's my personal experience, just to give you an idea, specifically,
for me, I had to avoid cooked foods entirely and eat things in serial
fashion - one at a time - to re-gain the stop that is described by
instinctos.  It took me a few days, to figure out how and what to eat
and where to buy it.  The "stop" I had experienced it before, but not
used it as a guide to my eating.  However, after experiencing that, I
ate instincto style for a little while, using desires to chose foods and
the "stop" sensation to quit the one I chose and start another if still
hungry.  Now I have gradually added my few favorite cooked foods back
in, and I now also get "stops" with those (cooked brown rice, cooked dry
beans in soups, essene bread). I don't eat things one at a time only any
more, and I still experience "stops".  Also, eating instinctively got
rid of nearly all my strong food cravings except raw fish, which I
assume I still need a lot of, so I'm trusting that craving.  I still
experience stops all the time now, but if that ceases, I'll go back to
all eating all raw and one at a time because I believe my body can tell
me better than any blood test or lab test what it does and doesn't
need.

That is very important to me, because I think that what each person
needs differs, and if each person could eat what their bodies needed in
the amounts that are needed, much healing would speed up - many of their
illnesses and injuries would go away really quick.  Generally, I have
been plagued with big problems of horrible hayfever every February and
March since the age of 3 (like having the flu for 8 weeks), and this
year I'm not having big problems (yet??).  Now I'm not feeling 100%
perfectly well, but only a very mild, very intermittent problem, and I
haven't been looking for handkerchiefs or boxes of tissue every day as
"normally" I would.  I cannot be certain, but of course I like to think
something is healing by my eating this way.  That is always the hope -
that I can find the right foods to heal my body.

> << Assuming you are eating all raw and instincto-style, I would think your
> body needs something in the honey. >>

> But you feel that this would not hold true since I am not all raw and
> instincto-style?

Yes.  Or more likely your food cravings and stops mechanisms aren't
working as well as they could.

> <<  If, after a few weeks, there is no resolution, I add in local filtered
> honey. >>

> Why do you do this? I am confused. Why filtered? And why do you add it back in
> - is it because you feel that if they crave it, they must need it?

Yes.  If, after a patient is on a natural foods diet for little while,
they still crave sweets, I figure it is something their bodies need.
The local filtered honey is the best I can find that people will eat.
It is liquid, without wax, and not crystalled up with sugar.  I can
purchase it unfiltered but people won't eat it.  I don't usually even
have honey and send them to the local health food store.  We are lucky
as we know the local beekeeper.  She does filter in July without heating
the honey, as it is routinely over 100F here then.  That stuff is the
best looking.  It all tastes the same to me, filtered and unfiltered
from her stock, strong tastes and very delicious.  Hers is better that
way than any storebought honey I've ever had. Perhaps unfiltered might
be the best for you healthwise (I would guess so).  But people get
squeamish.

BTW I always thought honey was too many calories for me, as I tend to
gain weight easily so I'd eat it once in a while only.  The idea of
eating as much as I wanted of anything and not gaining weight was
impossible in my mind, but I'm willing to try anything that seems
logical at least once.  So eating more instinctively, I have had as much
honey as I liked for a few months now, along with many pounds of raw
fish and other goodies I like.  My weight has been stable.

regards, r