RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:33:51 -0800
Lisa Ziemann <[log in to unmask]>:
>Hi everyone-I'm new to this list, so bear with me.

Tom:
Welcome to the list!

Lisa Ziemann <[log in to unmask]>:
>My question is:  what can I do to improve my diet?  Cooked food makes its way
>in my life on the weekends and some evenings.  Should I allow myself to go
>through it, or can I eat something that will help kill the cravings for
>carbs?  ...
>Any thoughts on miso?

Tom:
Miso is usually high in salt. Also, most brands of miso are pasteurized,
though supposedly there is at least one raw brand. Miso (and salt) are
digestants - strengthen the digestion. This is good for some folks, and
not so good for those with strong digestion to begin with.

Cooked food - the diet should serve you, not the other way around. If
cooked food works for you, then don't waste your emotional energy on "raw
guilt". If cooked food does not work for you, then you will want to
limit/avoid consumption of it. An important point here is to not get
wrapped up in the false idea that you must be "100% raw"; focus your
attention on health, and forget about/discard dogma.

Getting back to your diet. You might want to try reducing the amount of
fruit you eat (due to the high sugar content). Eating bitter foods -
dandelion greens, endive, escarole, wild thistle greens, the spice
turmeric, bitter melon, etc. - can help reduce sugar cravings, and help
to regulate blood sugar as well. Raw fat (vegetable or animal) may help
some also.

Again, welcome to the list!

P.S. to other list members - I encourage others to comment on Lisa's
questions.

Regards,
Tom Billings