RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:58:26 -0400
Judy Pokras <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Do they contain gluten?

Oats are controversial. It is very possible they contain no gluten. But
with the way harvesting and transportation is done, and the fact they are
close to the same size as wheat, the mills can't separate them apart. But
if you are looking at the individual grains, I'd gather the oats are
different enough that you could see any wheat ones in there. Also with
sprouting most of the gluten will be gone. So I wouldn't avoid oats.

>I would like to find a book that explains grains.  How they are processed,
>which ones contain gluten, the different forms of each one, etc.

Here's a list with gluten. This is all inclusive and only omits types of
wheat like durum and semolina. Some included are types of wheat, but are
included as some people think they aren't wheats.

Wheat, rye, barley, spelt, faro, triticale, kamut, bulgur, and maybe oats.

Don.