RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 17:36:16 -0700
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>How does one know whether the food is organic or not?  Is organic food
>sold only in health food stores?  I almost never buy fruits or veggies at
>a supermarket, but rather in stores that are devoted only to these products.
>What they have is usually fresh and grown locally (not imported); does
>"grown locally" necessarily mean organic?

Tom:
Organic foods are labelled as such, and are sold at a higher price (sometimes
much higher) than non-organic produce.

Here in California, organic produce is sold in: health food stores, ordinary
supermarkets (like Safeway), Farmer's markets, and produce stores. The
situation might be substantially different in your area.

Grown locally does not necessarily mean organic (but the shorter distance to
market may make local, fresh non-organic produce preferable to expensive,
organic produce shipped in from California or elsewhere). There are legal
definitions of organic. The CCOF, a group of organic farmers here in
California, has a web site (someone here might post the address?) - if you
can find the site, it might provide more info. Oh yes, CCOF = California
Certified Organic Farmers.

Regards,
Tom Billings