RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheila Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 11:54:01 -0700
>Can anyone explain why there would be any kind of a malfunction within
>the body (in my case - and most commonly, I suppose - this involves
>weight loss and muscle loss, and the general feeling of fatigue and
>weakness) when it is going through such a transition period?
>Is it purely a consequence of a detox taking place (ie: blood carrying
>toxic materials and thus preventing certain organs form functioning
>normally)?  How does this explain the weight loss? which usually implies
>insufficient energy to maintain the body.  Which should in turn simply
>translate into an insufficient food intake.  Is this the case?

>I suppose the basic idea is that years of cooked foods did end up
>damaging the body in one way or another.  If there is truly a
>detoxification of some sort taking place when one changes to an all-raw
>diet, then the freeing up of the foreign substances could explain the
>fatigue; the weight loss remains a mystery to me however.

>And overall, why would there need to be a transition period of any kind
>if an all-raw diet is something we were intended to live on to begin with?

>Some people make it sound as if our bodies were meant to live on cooked
>foods and need to go through the proper sequence of modifications (and
>certain - thank God - minor health problems) to adopt to an all-raw diet; I
>thought it was the other way around; that's why we have whole nations of
>sick people eating cooked foods - because their bodies never did adopt to
>the latter.

>Any thoughts on this?

Hi,
After reading so many posts on variations of raw, and paleo diets, I feel
that we at least have a better context of the diet of our ancestors and
hence, what might be more appropriate or why we eat what we eat or the
breadth of the diet substances ie insects, raw fat, etc.
Whatever has been eaten doesnt make it right or wrong, it is our context
and their reality based on their environment and consciousness.
I hear about so many genes for cancer and so forth and feel that behaviors
have created the genetic adaptations and that we can genetically engineer
ourselves to better places. IE The buck stops here.
With the advent of what appears to be greater consciousness around diet and
behavior and health, we have the option of maker better choices in each of
those categories. We are entering a new era of genetically engineered
foods, irradiation, pesticides, diminishment of soil contents, depleting
ozone layers, and it appears to be in the hands of those who realize, the
necessity of creating the best possible nutrition and behaviors via
supporting companies ie Orkas, Jaffe etc that are shipping high quality
foods, creating our own gardens, herbs, greens, fruit and nut trees, etc,
and finding the best ways to not only survive but to do so with strength
and flexibility given the age in which we live and the future we face.
This doesn't address your cooked food, weakness, area directly however it's
my Sunday homily!

Kind Regards,
http://www.sheilas.com