RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:03:21 -0400
Dariusz:
> "Your" digestion, right?  You don't mean to imply that fruits actually
> aren't good for anybody's digestion - do you?

Sure. Our list clearly shows the extreme variety of body's reactions
regarding food. In my case, the first months with a high-fruit diet
were OK, but I found that my digestion got worse and worse over time.
I think it is a result of
 1) Too much fruit
 2) Overeating

the two factors being linked (is it very easy to overeat fruits).

> I only read a couple (extremely interesting, mind you) articles concerning
> instinctive eating and am far from an expert on the subject, but your
> desire to reduce or add any nutrient to your diet would have to make you
> anything but an instinctive eater, IMO.

It is well known among (would be?) instinctive eaters that the quality of
food is extremely important. Instinctive nutrition would work better if
our diet was 100% wild fruits, vegetables and game, but it is not the
case, and the result is that selected fruits and vegetables mislead
our instinct. One way to correct that is to "push" further when you
eat vegetables, and eat fruits only when you are at the "luminous" stage.
It can work, but can also be frustrating.

The general guideline of instincto is to eat mainly fruits at lunch,
and no fruits at dinner, so that you don't eat more than 50% fruit
(approx.) But for me, I still think that it would be too much. I don't
think I would eat 50% fruit if the only fruits available were blueberries
and passion fruits. And even if it was the case (who knows?), modern
fruit contains too much sugar, which can easily lead to sugar cravings,
addictions, overeating, diabetes II-like reactions. Of course, I am
not saying that everyone experience those problems, it largely depends
on your hormonal reactions, your psychology, etc...

So, what I am doing now: I go shopping every day, when possible I
smell all the fruits and buy a very small quantity of the fruit that
smells best: IMO, that's instinctive.
Sure, limiting the quantity is not instinctive, but it is to counterbalance
the inevitable error that my instinct makes with selected food. And
moreover, in nature, you don't have an unlimited supply of all the
fruits you want.

Anyway, FOR ME, limiting the amount of fruits has positive results:
1) No sugar cravings at all
2) I appreciate fruits more

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis