RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:10:34 -0400
Dariusz:
> My post was not about "how to stay warm in cold weather" but rather "how
> to stay on a raw-diet in a cold weather."  Around here, when temperatures
> drop, so does the supply of fresh fruits and vegetables; either that or
> the prices on the imported stuff (which is not that great anyway) become
> virtually unaffordable.

OK, I admit that I had more or less the same problem, and that the only
way to prevent monotony without spending huge amounts of money was
to rotate between different sprouts (grains, seeds).

Actually, I don't think it is really more expensive to eat in winter than
in summer (at least in France). Even in summer, I don't find that fruits,
tomatos, avocados are cheap. And I would say that, as there are so
many fruits available, I was tempted for a while to eat more fruits,
which was very bad for my budget (and my digestion too).

The main staples in my diet last winter were sprouts and avocados (not
so expensive). There clearly was a lack of variety in the vegetables
I used: different sorts of salads (lettuce, frisee, romaine...), endives,
cauliflower (not expensive). Some affordable imported stuff: bananas,
pineapples, oranges, dry coconut (only 2.50 F = 0.5 $ ea.). Nuts
and animal food are not more expensive than in summer.

Eating raw in winter can be easy or difficult, it largely depends
on what your diet currently is, and if you will strongly miss certain
foods.

Currently, I am trying to change the repartition of my diet, i.e. to
incorporate more proteins and vegetables, and reduce carbohydrates.
Thus, I have reduced my fruit intake to an average of 2 medium-size
fruits (i.e. 2 bananas, or 2 apples, or 5 plums...). So, I hope
that next winter, given the small % of fruits in my diet, the lack
of fresh fruits will not be too problematic (either concerning
variety or the financial aspect). But, as I still intend to continue
with instinctive eating, it is quite plausible that the scarcity
of green veggies will affect my diet.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis