RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 08:22:36 -0800 (PST)
PROBLEMS IN SEED STORAGE

The following is a combination of two separate posts on the veg-raw e-mail
list, made back in September 1995. These posts address problems in storing
seeds for sprouting.

A. Problems in Storing Sesame Seeds: Insect Larvae

In the past I have stored sesame seeds for sprouting at room temperature in
airtight glass or plastic containers. I have never had any go rancid, and no
insect problems - until recently.  A few months ago I purchased some black
sesame seeds at an Indian store; they sprout nicely and have good flavor.

However it appears that they have a minor insect infestation. Fortunately, it's
not weevils but small worms which spin webs in the seeds, forming clumps. This
makes it easy to remove them - just sift out the clumps.  I have refrigerated
them (they are in glass jars) and will sift them to remove any larvae. Will keep
them refrigerated from here on, to prevent or discourage further infestation.

The moral of the story is to refrigerate seeds that pose a significant risk of
infestation. Also keep them in glass or plastic jars to prevent bugs from eating
through bags and getting into other seeds. It is desirable to refrigerate any
oily seeds - sesame, sunflower, nuts, to prevent rancidity.  However, one has
only so much refrigerator space, and many raw foods need refrigeration at some
time or other before they are eaten.

B. Recovering from Weevil Infestation

Weevils can be persistent, and may be difficult to eradicate. I have experienced
weevil infestations in the past, and was able to get rid of them without
chemicals. I don't guarantee this will work for you, but you might want to try
it.

When weevils (or any other serious infestation occurs, e.g., beetles) are
found:

1) Check all unprotected foods for infestation. Unprotected foods are those
in paper bags, plastic bags, or foods in containers that are not bug-proof.
(If the infestation occurred in a bug-proof container, you should check other
bug proof containers as well).  Discard all infested foods: take them directly
to the garbage can; do not let them sit in your kitchen! (The latter is to
prevent weevils from migrating and infesting other foods.)

2) Store all remaining foods in bug-proof containers: glass or plastic jars.
Alternately, refrigerate or freeze foods that are susceptible to infestation.

3) Check the foods again in a few weeks for signs of (new) infestation; discard
any that are infested.

The above steps basically isolate the weevils from their food, or, if the grain
is already infested, prevent the infestation from spreading further.

If you must resort to chemicals, there are sprays based on pyrethrins, a natural
insecticide found in chrysanthemums and daisies.  Other local control agents to
consider: spreading diatomaceous earth (messy) in cabinets (note: not a good
idea if you have respiratory problems: dust), and/or using neem leaves (dried)
in storage cabinets to repel insects.

Tom Billings