NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:37:15 -0800
> I'm removing approximately a quart of very nutritious breast milk and
> have to replace that with something of about equal bulk.

I have to second Cherie's comment that the nutritionally best thing to do
is to keep breastfeeding.  Not forever of course but if my experience is
I any cue, I would recommend through at least the second year.  I had to
wean my first very allergic baby when I was about 4 -5 months pregnant due
to my own health.  He immediately began to have problems with growth and
still does.  My friend just stopped at 15 months and her baby has been
very sick ever since with many colds and illnesses.  If you feel
uncomfortable nursing an older child in public, you could just provide
morning and evening nursings (that's basically what my son was down to
after the age of 15 months anyway).  La Leche league group meetings helped
me when I was quite depressed around his first birthday about being up
quite a bit at night (still am) and I was able to go on til 18 months
anyway.  It is of course your own decision entirely and I respect that.
Just
thought I would share my point of view.

Susan