RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:58:53 -1000
From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Liza:
>What would be so scary about raw goat's milk? The dairy? The high fat? Goats?

Milk in any form is taboo to instinctos (milk is never consumed outside of
infancy in nature, etc etc). "Proof" of this is an oft repeated story about
Guy-Claude himself noticing that inflammation he was experiencing was
correlated with raw dairy consumption. I was surprised that I had some
attraction too raw dairy (butter and cheese) but not much (milk, yougurt,
kefir--yuck). Melisa can eat raw dairy instinctively no problem. Everyone
is different, but many instinctos seem willing to let Burger decide for
them the issue of raw dairy.

>Yes, nutritious, it's just that......welll........I'm enjoying eating these
>things SOOOO much - there's got to be SOMETHING wrong! ;-)  Isn't there SOME
>reason I shouldn't be eating them??? ;-))

Of course not. Pleasure and guilt run so deep--one of those things our
caregivers inadvertantly weirded us out on. :/

Kirt:
><< Fatty seafood is considered to be useful in detoxing dairy. (Fruit is
>supposedly more for detoxing grains.) >>

Liza:
>Very interesting. I guess I ought to finish Burger's book, if this is where
>theories like this are found. Is there any attempt at a biochemical
>explanation for why one food would detox another? Or Is it mostly based on
>lots of personal stories? I guess I'll check the archives for discussions
>about instinctive eating.

I remember mention of it in Bruno Cromby's "Maximize Nutrition" but it may
be in Burger's dialogue too--can't remember, it's been a long time since I
read it.

>Detoxing dairy? Well I certainly ate huge quantities of both raw and
>pasteurized cow's milk in every form conceivable all throughout my childhood -
>we were raised on dairy. And about 4 years ago a RAST test indicated that I am
>allergic to it. It's been many many years since I've eaten any cow's milk in
>any form,  so I was surprised to see these results (RAST tests are not very
>reliable). But maybe that's why I'm enjoying the mackerel so much. Very
>interesting! Thanks for the info!!

It's just lore, Liza. Interesting sometimes, even useful sometimes, but I
very much doubt that you can _count_ on it its veracity in any specific
case.

><< Personally, I had some _really_ cheesy shits during my honey days which
>correlated exactly with my pound or more consumptions of honey.>>

>Do you mean cheesy smell? Or appearance?

Smell.

>Are you saying that you think that
>honey also detoxes dairy?

It seemed to for me, but who knows?

>If so, that would also explain my great interest
>(these are polite terms ;-))  ) in honey. And if your theory about raw dairy
>detoxing cooked has anything to it - then my current food interests would
>certainly indicate that I am on a personal mission to detox dairy like its
>never been detoxed before in the history of civilization.

Ha! Actually, this is a common story in instincto--that folks get "on top"
of particular foods and have very great pleasure with them for a time.
Enjoy it, since it probably won't last forever ;))

>I don't know
>whether to think that all the quantities of dairy I'm eating is _causing_ the
>fornation of excessive mucous, whether its some sort of allergic reaction, or,
>whether this is an elimination of toxins in some way. It's a surprise to me.

You could always avoid the dairy for a time and see what happens when you
introduce it. You'd still have mackeral and honey, no? ;)

>I was a smoker 20-some years ago - so, could this be some elimination from my
>lungs? Who knows!!.  And as a child I was famous in my family for ALWAYS
>having conjunctivitis (a mucousy discharge and inflammation of the eyes -
>might be called "pink-eye" - I think its a contagious virus). So maybe that's
>the eye discharge. But again, - who knows!

You'll never really know. The trouble for me was that I could smell very
sepcific smells coming outta me (cheese, ciggies, etc in my feces smells;
Baco-Bits in my ear wax; bread in my eyebrow sweat; etc). When that happens
it is really hard not to believe the detox stuff...an a preverbal level.
But...who knows?

>I think I'm just not accustomed to eating this way - in other words, such a
>lack of variety. I keep thinking I should try to eat other things. But now
>that I'm trying to pay attention to what I am actually interested in, instead
>of eating what I "think" should be the healthiest diet for my needs, I'm
>finding that not very much looks appealing. It's an unsettling feeling. But
>mackerel, goat's milk and honey SURE LOOK GOOOOD. YUMMMM!!  I'M
>DROOLING JUST WRITING THE WORDS.

Enjoy yourself, Liza. Most of us could live for months on mackeral or raw
goat dairy alone. If you have to be on top of a food, at least you picked
nutritious ones. BTW, are you aging the mackeral? Testing the dried bones?

<< And BTW, a feeling of repleation IS a stop and you are right not to eat any
>more. Someone once said that if you are even thinking about a stop, that
>that's a stop because when a food is really tasting good you are enjoying it
>en todo. If the pleasure isn't high enough that you are wondering, is this a
>stop, is that a stop, then you've had enough ;) >>

>This is very helpful Kirt. The phrase that comes to mind is "Oh - in other
>words I should just trust my instincts."  That seems embarassingly stupid for
>this conversation.  Now the phrase that comes to mind is "Na... Duh."

It is very easy to think that instinctos have some special knowledge, some
special corner on some deeper level of nutrition or something, but as you
are finding out, it probably isn't so. Relying _entirely_ on your
pre-verbal senses land many an instincto in the overeating fruit basket.

><< I, of course, ate any new food to a stop and then ate some more to make
>absolutely sure it was a stop--you only do this once with any particular food.
>>>

>;-))  You sound like a happy instinctive glutton. ;-)

Yeah. Instincto is attractive to big eaters like myself. It has been called
a rationalization of the vice you mention ;)

Cheers,
Kirt