RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:28:59 -0400
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>How does one know whether the food is organic or not?  Is organic food
>sold only in health food stores?  I almost never buy fruits or veggies at
>a supermarket, but rather in stores that are devoted only to these products.
>What they have is usually fresh and grown locally (not imported); does
>"grown locally" necessarily mean organic?

Not at all. Since organic foods command a higher price and connote higher
quality, they will always be labeled such if they truly are. Some local
farmers may use less pesticides, but still regular fertilizers. I buy at a
greenmarket. I asked about the broccoli I bought on Saturday. The farmer
said it had no bugs as it was sprayed with Ambush two weeks prior, but that
it could be eaten one day after spraying.

Don.