RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:56:31 -0400
From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Dariusz:
> Interesting.  Is this the only reason they are not recommended?
> Are the yolks completely safe if eaten raw, then?

> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, PE wrote:

> > Jean-Louis et al, raw egg whites contain avidin as a bird's defense
> > against predators. It inactivates the vitamin biotin.  Hope you get
> > enough of the vitamin to overcome the avidin's effect.

I think that whites contain some anti-proteases too. As far as I know,
yolks do not contain anythink toxic, although B. Sears recommends not
to eat them because they contain arachidonic acid, which contributes
in forming so-called "bad eicosanoids".

Sprouted chickpeas still contain some anti-trypsins. However, many raw
food eaters eat them without inconvenients.

In every food, you find some good and some bad. If you trust your
instinct, when eating an "original" food which tastes good, your body
will globally benefit from that food. And if you don't eat instincto,
or you don't trust your instinct, variety saves you from deficiencies.

When I eat eggs, I never eat more than 1 or 2, so that the quantity of
anti-biotin is limited. And I usually eat eggs no more than once a
week. So, I suppose that I get biotin from the foods I eat the
other days.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis