RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:02:56 -0800 (PST)
From:
>>Tom said:
>>Because much of the apple crop from Washington state is cold-
>>storage, this writer avoids purchasing Washington apples, except for
>>new crop. Instead I purchase California apples, and buy them only if
>>they are in season. Even an organic apple, if it is out of season, has
>>almost surely been held in cold storage.

Peter:
>I usually find the red delicious that can be bought all year around in
>the natural food stores to be quite tasty.
>Are these the ones that you think taste like cardboard?

Tom:
The ones that taste like cardboard are the commercial ones that have been
held in cold storage for 6+ months. The organic apples taste somewhat better
to begin with, so are tastier (than commercial) even after months of cold
storage. Still, cold storage apples don't compare favorably to new crop.
Even the organic ones seem a bit "dry" after long cold storage.

On a separate note: I too appreciate the recent lower volume on this list.
Quality is preferred to quantity.  I notice that bodhi has not posted recently;
are you still out there, bodhi? Just curious...

Regards,
Tom Billings