BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS The historic preservation free range." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:42:40 EST
Meriwether has asked me to mount an expedition next spring for travel westward
along northern Nebraska and southern South Dakota. Our commission is to locate
certian Homestead Act land grant sites and record extant sod house
construction details as well as to present educational seminars for desendents
of the original prairie settlers in the repair and maintenance of later wood
construction buildings. The expedition is open for application from intrepid
souls at any level: Young & Old, Able & Infirm, Wise & Foolish, all considered
alike. The only requirement is a thirst for knowledge about our past and a
need to know the practical methods for preserving its cultural value.

Travel from the east is westbound along the Ohio, turn left at the
Mississippi, turn right at the Missouri, paddle like the dickens up to the Big
Sioux making Sioux Falls, and Brookings by mid-May for seminars. Then take an
easy drift back down to the Missouri,  turn right at the Niobrara, (waters
will be high with the spring freshet from the Western Plains, best linger for
a few days of catfishing excellence at Verdigre Creek confluence, comfortable
accomodation can be found up the creek at the historic Commercial Hotel in
Verdigre), then to proceed westward late in May for soddy investigations.
Excursions  to Bonesteel and the Deadwood Badlands are a posibility. Any
persons in The East wishing to join our band should raise white smokes along
south or west banks during daylight up to three weeks after ice-out along the
route. Have stockpiles ready at the bank to replenish expedition supplies
since pickup stops will be brief to take advantage of swift spring waters.
Western folks with eastbound overland routes should plan to join up at Council
Bluffs or Lincoln where the expidition will hold up for no more than a week
during an excursion for research at the capital city of Lincoln.

Monitor the usual channels of communication for further details.

Intrepid Souls of the Prairie Unite !

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant