RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:14:00 -0700
this is a revised version of an article I posted on veg-raw recently.
I waited to post it on raw-food as I didn't want to go over 5 posts.  The wait
also allowed me to revise it somewhat. This might become an article in the
SF-LiFE newsletter. The alternative is to ask the ANHS for permission to
reprint their original article, an avenue we might pursue.
Tom Billings
"GIVE ME THAT OLD TIME RAW FOODS DOGMA"

There is an interesting article in the latest issue of "Health Science",
the magazine of the ANHS (American Natural Hygiene Society), July/August
1997 issue. The article is "When Traditions Must Change", by James Michael
Lennon (page 38). Lennon is the Executive Director of the ANHS. (The issue
is available in the SF-LiFE library.)

The article discusses how the ANHS often gets letters from irate readers who
criticize them for daring to change natural hygiene. As the article paraphrases
such readers: "Shelton spoke the TRUTH. Don't change anything." The article
then goes on to explain that the ANHS is discarding old, outdated practices to
reflect more current health knowledge and research. They also quote Shelton,
encouraging others to think for themselves and to be guided by the truth.

The attitude of this article is refreshing. Those natural hygienists who limit
their knowledge to Herbert Shelton (effectively treating him as the "Great
Prophet of Health") are, in reality, stagnating. Further, reality - a difficult
teacher at times - shows that some of the aspects of the Sheltonian approach
don't work "as advertised", hence they should be revised or rejected. (The
ANHS is doing just that - I applaud their efforts to do so.) Shelton himself
revised and changed his approach, to reflect new data.  Growth and change
are essential parts of life; we can accept new information and revise old ways
as appropriate, or we can be stuck in the past. The choice is ours to make.
(The above remarks apply, in principle, to all types of raw foods diets, not
just to natural hygiene.)

By the way, I'm not someone with a grudge against natural hygiene; it works
very nicely for some people. If you follow natural hygiene and it works for
you, I think that is wonderful. However, I am somewhat frustrated after meeting
(too) many people who say that "natural hygiene always works", "natural hygiene
can cure any/all diseases", and other idealistic, unrealistic claims which are
presented as the (revealed) truth of the "one true health science". Given such
claims, natural hygiene sounds more like a religion than a science!

In closing, I strongly recommend reading the article - and taking the message to
heart. Be aware that dogma and zealotry are far too common in the raw movement.
We can have an open, honest raw foods movement: simply ignore the zealots with
their mindless slogans and narrow dogma, and think for yourself.  Be open,
but apply common sense and be skeptical.

P.S. the title above is a play on the phrase "give me that old time religion",
as the zealots have made rawism into a narrow minded pseudo-religion. (No
disrespect is intended here towards genuine religions.)

Tom Billings