RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:59:50 -0700
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>Regarding what Walter wrote - There is much more to sprouting than you may
>be aware of.  I read that the process can easily double or triple, or
>increase even further, any or all of the vitamins and minerals present
>in the grain/seed.  There is plenty of documentation with the actual figures.

Tom:
One book that discusses this at length, is "Sprout for the Love of Every Body",
by Viktoras Kulvinskas. There is also some information scattered in the
nutrition and food science journals (some work to secure the info).

Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>I have a few more questions for anyone who might care to answer.
>As far as the long, greened sprouts go - say, wheat or sunflower - does
>one consume the seeds/grains as well (take them out of the earth)?  Which
>seeds/grains will grow again if cut only above the ground?
>Also, I haven't tried anything other than sunflower and wheat so far, are
>there other things worth growing for their greens?  How are wheat greens
>best consumed, I don't suppose they are easy to digest in any form
>other than their juice.

Tom:
Wheatgrass and sunflower seeds are normally cut above the ground, as if you
pull them out of the ground to get the seed, you also get a lot of dirt -
difficult to deal with. You might get a second crop of wheatgrass, if
mold does not strike. However, most people settle for one crop per tray,
then simply plant another tray.

Besides sunflower and wheat, buckwheat greens are popular, as is barley grass.
Pea sprouts are gaining popularity here in California, and I have seen people
grow (and eat) lentil greens. Both wheat and barley grass are usually juiced,
though you can check Ann Wigmore's book(s) for many additional uses.

The indoor gardening techniques used for wheatgrass can be use with any fast
growing seed: turnip greens, radishes, mustard, cabbage, kale, etc.

Regards,
Tom Billings