RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:55:51 -0500
Stefan Joest wrote:

> - a story about using refractometers on rare meat and cooked veggies.
>   Also how one measures the Brix of human beings without squeezing

>   them  too much. You should explain why it isn't legal to measure simply
>   the Brix of human liquids (tears, sweat, urine, running noses...)

I assume you are having some fun, but I didn't notice a smiley as I did for
some other parts of your post.  So, with the thought that you may actually
be posing questions, I'll try to help a little.

Of course, the "rare meat and cooked veggies" is silly and we can bypass
that.  However, there are refractometers specifically calibrated to work
with urine and it wouldn't surprise me to find they could detect differences
in tears of joy and tears of sorrow.  Deepak Chopra has spoken to the
different biochemistry of those two types of tears.  OTOH, I'm unaware of
devices for checking sweat or runny noses---but, again, it wouldn't surprise
me to find that there is a difference.  May we agree that a good physician
can make a more meaningful diagnosis with more meaningful data.

But to go a bit back: Dr. Reams devised a disarmingly simple formula that
proved quite effective for biochemically peering inside a human body.  A
part of that testing was to determine the Brix of the urine.  The theory was
that the specific gravity (measured here as Brix) of the urine was telling,
and that when arrayed against other urine factors (urea content, particulate
matter, conductivity)---and the result compared to the saliva pH, a
surprisingly accurate assay was possible.

That little bit is about as qualified as I'm able to report, but I can add
that the Reams' urine/saliva test is still widely used around the world by
various healing modalities.  Although its practitioners have to stay hidden
from the AMA, and the drug industry, they claim it is as close to a no-cost
ticket back to health for the severely afflicted as anything known.

So, in a sense, Brix does matter to the human body.

Regards,
Rex Harrill
PS: I tried to make a "NFL" play on words with "refractometer," but couldn't
come up with anything.  Evidently, NFL means something rather negative.