RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:47:35 -0800
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> Apricot kernels contain amygdalin, also known as vitamin B17 or laetrile.
> Amygdalin is purporrted to have anticarcinogenic properties, but in fact
> is a glycoside that releases HCN on contact with stomach acid. Cyanide is
> reasonably toxic and at least one death is attributed to ingestion of
> apricot kernels. Other fruit pits also contain cyanogenic glycosides and
> are hazardous to ingest in large quantities.

> I tried them myself a few months ago (I didn't become sick, of course),
> but the "stop" came rather quickly, usually after 20 grams (and they taste
> less good than almonds). Perhaps amygdalin is the explanation.

Could you describe the stop. Do you know if apple seed contain these
substances. I have found apple seeds taste good, something like almonds.

BTW, some one was asking about shelling Macadamia nuts, and I want to
mention that the trick in getting them out in one piece is to put them in
the freezer first.

My best, Ellie