RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:53:06 -0700
As mentioned in a recent e-mail, I spent last week in a Seminar with
Dr. Vasant Lad, the eminent Ayurvedic Physician. It was an interesting,
and very enjoyable time. Dr. Lad is very spiritual, and time spent with him
is uplifting, and very peaceful. I would recommend attending his programs,
if you have the opportunity!

Anyway, there were a few things of possible interest to some of folks on the
raw-food and veg-raw e-mail lists. Those few items are summarized below:

* Weightlifting is bad for the joints and may promote arthritis in the
long run.

* Too much sugar is toxic - it increases triglycerides (high cholesterol),
diabetes, and hypertension. [This supports the post I made some months
ago, in which I speculated that T.C. Fry's atherosclerosis was caused by his
fruitarian diet. Interesting! P.S. Many fruitarians exhibit the symptoms of
excess sugar/type II diabetes: excess urination/thirst, fatigue, sugar highs/
lows, blurred vision, pains in feet, hands, knees. etc.]

Dr. Lad gave consultations to people with health problems. A few items
from these:

* One consult was an adolescent female, with a rare mental disorder (not an
eating disorder). The interesting thing with her was that she became a
vegetarian around the same time the mental disorder appeared, and her motive
for becoming a vegetarian was rather humorous: rather than avoiding things that
"had a face", she wanted to avoid things that "had a butt".  :-)

* One consult was a woman with liver cancer, who was given a 10% chance of
survival by MDs. She was treating her liver cancer with Ayurveda; the
cancer was actually shrinking in her body. This is a reminder to those
raw fooders who foolishly take the narrow view that raw foods is the "only
way to heal" - it clearly is NOT! (Ayurveda is not the "only" way either -
there are many healing modalities; they all have positive and negative points.)

Listening to the consultations was interesting; my discussions with some
of the more seriously ill also shined a new light on the psych-spiritual
aspects of illness and healing.

If I think of more items from the Seminar, I will post them (I have 80 pages
of notes; most are not relevant for the lists.)

Regards,
Tom Billings