RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christian Schlepphorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:36:06 +0100 (MET)
Jean-Louis Tu writes:
 > Read in "Ces merveilleuses graines germees", by Max Labbe: sprouting
 > increases by 450% the contents of lentils in vitamin B12.

 > According to "L'equilibre nutritionnel du vegetarien", 100g of sprouted
 > lentils contain 237 micrograms of B12. Since only one tenth is absorbed by
 > the organism, a daily intake of 10 grams should be enough to supply the
 > body's needs. Other leguminous seeds are elso high in B12.

 > Any confirmations?

Is this bioactive cobalamin? Due to the latest research they claim now
that most of the vegetarian/vegan sources of B12 (yeast, dulse,
sauerkraut etc.) is only an analogue and *not usable* by the
body. AFAIK the test it by the binding capability of the intrinsic
factor. Analogues *may even show up in blood tests as B12 serum* but
don't function the right way. (I'm not totally convinced of this)
Following this research, only animal sources remain as viable B12
sources. But to my knowledge *all commercially rised animals' food is
fortified with B12 (bacteria colonies)*. No wonder it shows up in the
tissues. I heard that they wouldn't thrive without it(!)

The whole B12 thing is a very complicated and frustrating thing to me
(beeing severly deficient according to blood test)

Regards

Christian