NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimkabob4 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:20:05 EST
Hi all!
I am mostly a lurker, but I finally decided to ask a question I have been
thinking about for years.  My husband and my two youngest children have dairy
allergies.  My husband had a constant runny, itchy nose all his life, and
repeated bronchitis and ear infections as a child.  It wasn't until our
youngest was born that we discovered his allergy.  Now even a small amount of
whey brings back his runny nose (and it makes his mood very foul for about
four days).
So now for my question.  My husband and his sister have not spoken in several
years, and probably never will again.  According to his father, whom we see
once a year at the most, his sister's children are always sick with one cold
after another.  I strongly suspect they have inherited the dairy allergy.  She
doesn't speak to me either, or I'd suggest it to her.  Their father "doesn't
believe" in dairy allergy (he grew up on a farm and it seems the allergy comes
from the mother's side of the family as she suffered from constant excema;
alas, she passed away many years ago) so he hasn't said anything to the
sister.  What should I do?  I feel badly that her children are suffering when
a simple dietary alteration may be the answer.  BTW, she did not breastfeed
either of her children.
So do I have a moral obligation to get this information to her somehow? Or
should I just keep my mouth shut?  Any advise would be welcome!  TIA!

Kim