NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karen Presser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:04:35 -0400
Hi all!  Hope you enjoy these two favorites at my house. Not only are they
wonderfully milk free but they taste so great!

These brownies are a life saver when my caseine allergic son is invited to
birthday parties.  I always bake these and he takes a piece with him so that
he can have something when the other kids are having cake.  The only problem
is the other kids love them too and prefer it to cake. ( I send extras!)  (I
always ask the birthday 'mom' for permission and have NEVER had a problem).
 Now when other members of my family taste other brownie recipes (non milk
free) they always say "Matt's are the best"!   Sorry for the chatter - here's
the recipe!!!

Happy baking!
Karen :0)

Chocoholic Brownies

2 unsweetened baking squares
1/2 cup margerine (Fleishman's unsalted)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (The brand I found here in Florida is
Bloom's)

Melt chocolate squares and butter. Cool.
Stir in sugar, then eggs and vanilla mixing well.
Add flour and salt, then stir in chocolate chips.
Pour into greased 8 inch square pan.
Bake 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool and cut into squares.
Makes about 20 brownies

note: I usually bake these closer to the 25 minutes as we like them creamy on
the inside versus more dry.

--------------
Here is an incredibly easy, light and tasty banana muffin recipe that I have
been making for years before I had to be concerned with milk free cooking.
 It freezes well and is a hit with everyone!

Banana Muffins

3/4 cup mashed bananas (about 2)
1/2 cup sugar (scant)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 cup sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp water

Mix lightly together. Start with bananas, end with water). Bake in 375 oven
for 12 to 15 minutes.