RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 19:28:38 -0500
From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> One of the recent controversies on this list was about whether wild fruits were
> more nutritious than cultivated ones, whether they taste sweeter; whether there
> are fundamental differences between wild and domesticated plants in general.

Jean-Louis, I hope you mean *discussions* instead of *controversies*.  At any rate,
let us take a refractometer and go for a walk in the African Bush with our !Kung
hosts.  Let us be on the lookout for the wild food items you mentioned in your
report.  Let us record Brix values as we explore.

Is that a wild orange tree I see growing off the side of that cliff?  Huummm---its
fruit is only 10 Brix.  Its leaves are 18 Brix.  Poor tree, it is struggling so hard
to stay alive.  It's in such a dry spot and there is no dung near its roots.  Chief,
did I hear you right: no one bothers to collect the fruit of such a tree?

Wait a minute, Jean-Louis---the fruit from that wild orange tree that was growing at
the water hole where we camped last night was 18 Brix!  And, remember, the leaves
were 26 Brix.  Could that be because of the abundant dung the grazing animals
dropped when they came to drink?  Or could it be because that tree was getting
proper moisture?  Anyway, the fruit must taste good after the burial sequence---did
you see how hard it was for the Chief to get all the youngsters out of the tree?
They were really laughing and chattering about their prizes.

Whatever: "wild" can mean many things.  In my mind, any study or report that leaves
out such vital information as Brix can easily mislead.  I'm glad there is room on
this list for all points of view.

Regards,
Rex Harrill