RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 06:32:36 -0800
From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Stefan, Karl, Liza,

Karl-W. Geitz wrote:
> during my first 2 raw winters I felt awfully cold very often.
> ...But then
> I learned about Instincto and now we eat a lot of nuts during
> the winter in the evening meal and anyway, I haven't felt cold
> during winter since then.

This was my first winter eating nearly all raw.  I live in a mild
climate, but in prior years I would feel cold easily, also with cold
feet.  Actually this winter, I hardly ever felt cold at all, with less
sensitivity to the weather.  And I never had that overheated sensation I
dislike so much when coming into a heated building from the cooler
temperature outside - used to have that a lot - I'd feel cold outdoors,
then come inside to the warmth but feel too hot.  Now I feel warm and
cold much less.

What is so interesting to me is that in TCM, nuts, seeds, beans and
flesh foods are supposed to have "warming" properties as compared to
fruit and vegetables.  The experiences people describe really confirms
the TCM food "properties".  The most "warming" are flesh foods, and the
supposedly "coldest" diets are comprised of raw vegetables and fruit.
Seed type foods (nuts, beans, seeds, grain) are supposed to be neutral
temperature-wise.

> I also now the hot feeling and don't like it, too. Often it
> seems to me that SAD eating people are always somewhat over-
> heated, because their hand feeld hot to me. I don't think
> that that is healty.

I don't think hot hands are healthy either.  In fact in TCM having hot
hands and feet is one symptom of a type of febrile disease.  And, a lot
of women around here have hot flashes even before menopause.  It is
attributed to estrogen changes, but now I believe that is partially,
perhaps largely determined by food. And too much cooked food would
worsen that.  In Asia women do not have such problems with hot-flash
symptoms and some scientists think it is from eating lots of soy
products.  But maybe the higher vegetable content in the diet and
consumption of more and other "cooling" foods as well may contribute to
this.

regards

roberta