RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:40:19 -0700
From:
Judy Pokras <[log in to unmask]>:
>Is there a book you could recommend for dosage information?

Tom:
The information on eye health is widely scattered in a number of books on
herbs and Ayurvedic texts; there is no single comprehensive reference.

The following is provided for educational purposes, it is not intended
as a "prescription".

I can supply some information on common usage, for a few things:
amalaki, 1/2 - 1 teaspoon, at night with warm water
triphala, 1/2 tsp (dry) at night with warm water, -or- 1 full teaspoon,
soaked in 1 cup water overnight, drink in morning  (suggest that you
don't take both triphala and amalaki at night - just one).
Chrysanthemum/rose petals - 1/2 tsp each in water for tea. Suggest using
boiling water to sterilize.
Fennel works indirectly on the eyes, by strengthening the digestion.
One could take 1 teaspoon powder, with warm water, before meals, or
just chew fennel seeds after eating. (Candied fennel seed is available - I don't
recommend it, but if it is the only way you will eat it...) Fennel tastes
delicious!

For eyerinse, I use 1/4 tsp triphala or amalaki in 1 cup water, soak overnight,
strain through cotton cloth (I use a handkerchief), and use with eyecups in
mornings.

Note that ghee, castor oil, goat milk are also used in Ayurveda for some
eye problems.

If you have any serious eye disorders, I suggest you see both an Opthalmologist
and a holistic health professional for consultation and advice. One should
not attempt self-diagnosis or self-treatment for serious problems.

P.S. when trying something new, use a small amount, and be cautious of potential
allergic reactions.

Regards,
Tom Billings