BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Caloggero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:33:20 EDT
     Hi.  I'd luck to put in a plug for link-numbering turned off...  I
use lynx with vocal-eyes and have written a set file which tracks the
highlight (currently selected link), and reads new pages automatically
using hyperactive windows.  I have it on my machine at mit.  Here's the
address for it.  If it doesn't work, try the address for the directory
containing it.  If this still doesn't work, please let me know.
Note that it is for vocal-eyes 3.0.  If people want one for version
2.2, let me know and I'll try to dig one up. Version 3.0 is a lot more
stable (less flakey) however.

ftp://www.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/r/j/rjc/pub/lynx.set
or above without the trailing component (lynx.set) to see directory
contents

     There are a couple of flakey things about this approach.  When the
down-arrow (move to next link) causes the screen to scroll, the
associated hyperactive window is triggered and the new page is spoken.
You just need to shut up the speech, and then use the alt-l key to read
the current link text. You can set this in the hotkeys menu to be
anything you like.  The other problem is timing. Sometimes the screen
changes after vocal-eyes thinks it does.  When an arrow key is pressed,
vocal-eyes waits a specified amount of time, then speaks the
hightlighted text. If the screen has not been updated by the time
vocal-eyes chooses to speak, it will sound as if the highlight didn't
move.  If this happens a lot, increase the cursor delay time in the
general/delays menu.

     Please let me know what you think.  Also, let me know if you can't
access the file.  I'm not sure if files on athena can be accessed from
not mit sites.  I'll put it in a different place if people can't get
it.

                                -- Rich
Richard Caloggero
Consultant; Access Tech. for Info. and Computing (ATIC)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT Building 11-112 / 77 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139