BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carl Burch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:27:52 EDT
I've put together a package, using freeware, that works via a PPP connection
from DOS to connect to IRC servers. Thus permitting those acclimated to a
dos-only environment to access and use IRC with an application designed for
it. This program is extremely simple and offers the ability to chat only. No
DCC sends/receives or anything else.

 The dialer program I packaged with it is the EtherPPP Packet driver, also
freeware. Now the good part:

 The package can be downloaded from my FTP site at
ftp://ftp.aloha.net/pub/users/cwburch/   filename is ISP2IRC.EXE  After
executing the package, run INSTALL.EXE to begin the installation process.
After it puts files where they need to go, it will automatically write the
necessary script file to connect you to the internet.
 For the actual scripting process, the installation routine will prompt you
for the phone number of your ISP. You will then log in manually and extablish
a PPP connection. Key point here - a PPP connection "must" be established
manually during the installation process. This is how the program gets the
information it needs in order to write the connection script for the packet
driver/dialer program.  Once a PPP connection has been successfully
established, the word DONE will appear. Press enter at that point to exit
installation.

 From then on, get in the C:\DOSIRC directory and type DIAL and press return.
This will establish the PPP connection to the internet and start the IRC
client program connecting the user to irc.dal.net.  The IRC server can be
changed by selecting FILE|SETUP and entering the desired IRC server in the
box, then selecting OK.  All menus in the program can be navigated with a
mouse or the keyboard.  This program will also work with a multitude of screen
reader software.

 I'll only leave this program on my FTP site until I need the space for
something else. Until such time, anybody may feel free to download the program
and play with it. Developers of software for the blind are especially
encouraged to check it out.

  E-mail from: Carl Burch, 13-Jun-1997