RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 20:06:47 -0700
The San Francisco Living Foods Enthusiasts Expo, known as "The Health and
Rejuvenation Expo", was held on Sunday, June 1, 1997. It was a big success and
was well-attended.

At present, it is not clear whether (or when) there will be another Expo in the
future. The major part of the work of planning the Expo was done by a small
group of people.  The Expo Committee members were disappointed by the apathy and
lack of member support in the planning stages. The attitude of many members
seemed to be that the Expo was a good idea, but it was an even better idea for
somebody else to do the work!  The Expo planners are a bit "burned out"
by the experience. So, unless some new people get involved, it will be some
years (2 or more) before the present crew is likely to even consider another
Expo "work-out". Even then, I question whether there will be another Expo.
So, the question of the next Expo is undetermined at present.

I will be posting part of the material I wrote for the Expo newsletter/program
guide. Some of the material was previously posted on raw-food and veg-raw,
some of it has not been posted. Those who did not attend the Expo may find some
of the material of interest. I will also post my Expo closing remarks, which are
not in the Expo newsletter/program guide. These posts will be prefaced with
the notation "EXPO:".

Please note: I am not posting the entire Expo newsletter/program guide, only
parts of the (my) material for it.

I think you will find that the material from the Expo newsletter/program guide
is not the standard raw foods "party line" or dogma. The objective of my
writing for the Expo was to focus on some current problems in the movement,
and to try to re-orient the movement away from  zealotry and blind dogmatism,
and towards an open, honest, positive approach.

I also did a talk at the Expo, on overcoming/avoiding problems in raw/living
foods diets. I have not yet decided whether to post those notes or not.

General restriction regarding Expo posts:
Because I am a member of only two e-mail lists (raw-food and veg-raw), I must
specify that my Expo newsletter articles can NOT be crossposted to any other
list, without my express permission. In particular, posting to other,
"unmoderated" raw food lists will NOT be approved by me. Individuals on
unmoderated lists can read this article in the raw-food list archive web site.
The reason for this is that some of the material will be controversial, and I
want it posted only in places where I can discuss it without being attacked by
hostile zealots. This is unfortunate, as some folks on the unmoderated list(s)
might benefit from reading the material.  Your cooperation with the above is
appreciated.

I would also encourage you to read all the newsletter articles posted, before
posting any comments. There are a number of subject threads that are found in
more than one article; your comments may be addressed in another article. Also,
please keep in mind that the newsletter has real space limits; such limits
restrict the length and content of each article - i.e., there was not enough
room for lengthy discussion of each topic mentioned in the newsletter.

Regards,
Tom Billings