From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:34:01 ADT
> > I've been doing pretty well on a  limited food budget by checking
> > the sales at local supermarkets every week. Often the very
> > cheapest roasts are the fattiest. I also have been orienting my
> > shopping hours to when I am most likely to run across perfectly
> > good meat which is near it's pull date and priced for quick sale.
> > I bring it home, pop it in the freezer and there we are.
>
> I like the roasts suggestion.  I can't stomach the idea of eating
> expired meat tho.

I agree with Molly.  The reduced meat is the way to go.  It isn't
expired, it has just been out a day or two.  Last week I got 5 lbs
of burger for just over $3.00, and it wasn't even that close to the
date on the package.  (Meat is a very high mark-up item in Alaska.  I
*have* to find ways to keep the grocery bill down if I want to be
mainly carnivorous!)

The Safeway store up here will put reduced stickers on the packages
2-3 days before the pull date.  I admit I am leary about buying older
packages of poultry and fish unless they have plenty of time left
before they must be pulled, but I've never had a problem with any
marked-down beef or pork, and I've been buying it for years.  I
always preferred aged beef, anyway.  It is more tender and flavorful.

Lisa Sporleder
Ester, Alaska  (it's almost equinox, when Alaska has the same amount
of day & nite as everybody else!)