NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 07:50:16 -0400
Newsgroup: rec.food.veg
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 10:36:21 -0600
From: Blair Stoltzfus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: I need a vegan whipped cream substitute!!!

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Drew Sernekos wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make a good vegan whipped cream (no dairy or
> dairy products)???

Equal parts raw cashews, water, and sunflower oil. In blender/food
processor make a thick cream with nuts and water, then add oil in a slow
stream. Sweeten (I prefer maple syrup) and add vanilla to taste. This
comes out heavier (obviously) than whipped cream, but has an incredibly
rich and creamy mouthfeel and tastes great on fruit or baked deserts (or
straight out of the blender). The recipe is from 'The American Vegetarian
Cookbook' by Marilyn Diamond, and while the cookbook isn't vegan, I would
recommend it to you, or anyone who is interested in veg cooking.
Enjoy !