RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:28:24 -0500
Jean-Louis Tu wrote: [snip]

> I was wondering if organic fruits had a higher vitamin content than non
> organic ones, and if there are some tables of analyzes available
> somewhere. Does anyone know? Rex?

I'm sorry Jean-Louis, but I think analysis tables are worse than useless
except to prove that there is *major* variation in nutrient content of
fruits and vegetables.  The tables you'll see are only averages.  The true
range in nutrients can be not only percentages greater or lesser, but
entire magnitudes different.

I can tell you, sadly, that some organic growers produce poor, tasteless,
and low Brix fruits and vegetables.  I can also tell you that some
"conventional" growers produce superb quality output of superb taste.  The
later have learned biological secrets that may forever remain a mystery to
"method" growers.

Remember, much lab testing is bogus.  For instance, I could split a carrot
in half and dunk one part in a nitrate solution.  The testing lab would
report that half as having a much *higher* protein content.  That is
because simplistic testing procedures require the lab to drive off the
nitrogen, multiply that amount by 6.25 and record the result as "protein."

A biological assay is the only true way to determine food quality.  If your
animals, rat or human, thrive, then you have better food than the food that
does not cause them to thrive.  Gee, I hope Tom's "toxic fruitarians" are
paying attention.

Now, I know my position will expose me to catcalls, jeers, and efforts to
invalidate at any cost, but I have seen *nothing* to make me think lab
testing of food meant anything, and I'm willing to take the heat.

Having said all the above, I suggest anybody who really cares about what
they eat make a comparative study of the unit weight of the best and the
worst of any fruit or veggie that interests them.  That heavier effect is
*minerals*.  For instance, an experienced green grocer doesn't need puffed
up lab results to know, by heft, which is the best orange, or grapefruit,
or pineapple, or whatever.

Or they can get a refractometer and a Brix chart.

Regards,
Rex Harrill