RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:57:29 -0500
Mike,

first of all, thanks for sharing your intriguing experience.

I also notice that when I eat a food that I haven't eaten for a long
time, I feel more energetic. Two weeks ago, I tried avocados again (after
several months without, and I had an incredible energy for several hours).

> Cold-with-RAF-example:

I admit I can't see any mechanism which would explain that. My point was
not to say that detoxification or other phenomena don't exist, but that the
fact that fats and proteins are more warming than sugar explains most abnormal
sensations of cold.

Ellie:
> I wonder if the commercial fruits bred for sweetness might contain
 >altered  sugars, similar to refined sugars.

Refined sugar is sucrose, and fruits contain sucrose too. The question
would be whether heating affects the molecule of sucrose, e.g. by transforming it
into a stereoisomer. Does anyone know?"

Stefan:

>pleasure is leading you to health, pain leads you to sick-
>ness. At least if you keep away from unnatural methods.

I don't consider peeling a banana as unnatural. And, in principle, we
can wash carrots in the river or scrape them against a stone ;-)

>Then give a better explanation. If my instincts don't lead me to dense
>foods but to fruits as was the case in the beginning and I feel cold and it
>fades away after some months then it very much looks like detox to me.
>Also like Mike wrote it can happen that a new food makes me cold
>although I thought I overcame that problem already. If it is a question of
>adaptation then even a paleolithic human would have had this problem with new
>foods and this I seriously doubt.

Why not? When you live in a given environment, you don't discover many foods
(except the first year). Since I went raw, I discovered many foods, and
I nevery felt cold.

>I find dates, bananas and honey very natural. Dates are quite easy to
>get if you can climb a tree, an easy task for a paleo human. So I expect
>the nutrition instinct to know about high sugar foods and how to limit intake
>by giving stops.

Dates are natural, but not many humans live in a desert. And I suppose
that the "burning" stop would be unbearable when the outside temperature is 120 F!

I don't think wild bananas a very close to the modern ones.

Honey is natural, but observation of hunter-gatherers reveals that they
eat honey only *very* occasionally (catching animals is apparently easier).

>I'm really not sure if humans have a sweet tooth. Hm. It frequently
>happens to me, that in the evening I start thinking about what to eat. And the
>thought comes "oh no, not again sweet things as you had at noon". I am
>frequently really put off by sweet foods in the evening. The more I
>will enjoy them at the next noon meal.

Of course, there is a limit, but you are eating much more sugar that
paleo humans. It would be very interesting to see a nutritional analysis of
some wild fruits, and compare with modern fruits. And to know how much fully ripe
fruits would be available (when you have to compete with other apes, birds,
insects, etc).

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis