RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 18:09:00 -0500
The Brix (total soluble solids including sugar, minerals, amino
acids, proteins, vitamins, and other taste factors) of all
fruits can be easily measured with a refractometer, just as
grapes are routinely checked.  My agricultural experience has
been that higher Brix equals higher quality and better
taste---without exception.  For instance, an 18 Brix cantaloupe
tastes worthy of the gods, while the typical 9 Brix commercial
excuse, pesticide coated or organic, is hardly fit to put in
one's mouth.  Yes, either of the later, which disgrace tens of
thousands of salad bars, should be discreetly spat out.

Quite candidly, I see an absolute connection between fruit trees
and animals, that speaks to a Creator working via evolution.
Those fruit-bearing trees *in the wild* that produce the most
delectable fruit will ensure their seed is widely disseminated.
In other words, if there are two trees, side by side, and one
has better tasting fruit, the seeds of that tree will be spread
wider than the seeds of the poorer tasting tree.  This certainly
was the case with the Granny Smith apple (yep, a hybrid that
popped up in Mrs. Smith's compost pile) which was eagerly
welcomed around the world.  I firmly believe it is the case with
all original wild fruits, but the dissemination range is
obviously more limited.  Better taste---meaning sweeter---equals
better survival.

There is an intense evolutionary pressure on fruit bearers to
produce the very best tasting fruit possible.  The tree is
making a tremendous energy investment in species survival and
doing it halfway is not a good enough answer.  Man, who seems
content to harvest, say, barely palatable 10 Brix oranges, is
not exactly furthering or improving the species with "breeding"
when oranges, in the wild, might reach 15-20 Brix.  Most animals
won't bother to pick up what the harvesters drop in the
commercial groves, although I have seen evidence of them eating
the inside only from time to time.

But I could be wrong.

Regards,
Rex Harrill