RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:42:59 +0000
Stefan:
>>I assume with "skin" you don't mean the orange peel of the orange but
>>the whitish skins inside.

Ellie:
>Are you serious, Stefan? When you eat oranges, do you eat the orangge
>part of the skin. I watched orangutans eat fruit in Malasia. Theyh
>shure ate the good parts only and threw out the rest.

I thought the sentence above was clear although I perhaps used the wrong
words for the parts of an orange. :-(
Realizing that "skin" is used for the orange hull of the fruit and
"pith" for the whitish stuff inside I again say, that one can overeat
citrus by sucking them out and throwing away the pith (and the skin of
course).

Kirt, it seems that you are jumping in in the last weeks only for having
a cheap joke at the expense of others and to write something negative
about instinctive eating. :-( Well, if that is your mood again - nega-
tive and depressive - then I wish you'll recover soon.

Kirt:
>fruit--but why would forcing earlier stops (by _intellectually_
>mangling your mouth on pineapple skin or burning your lips and gums
>with citrus skin) be better than simply -intellectually_ limiting your
>fruit intake in the first place?

You could have answered that on your own. In the first case your in-
stincts decide where to stop, in the last case your mind (which cannot
know how much of the pineapple your body needs).

In fact I tried to eat a fully ripe pineapple together with the skin
but found it very time consuming to eat this way so gave it up.
But why not? The skin is highest in antioxidants and in the case of
the pineapple it tasted quite palatable. It was merely a mechanical
problem that made me stay off.

Liza:
>I'm thinking maybe we should eat beef with the fur, and milk with the
>udder, coconuts with the shell, carrots with the dirt, bananas with the
>peel, eggs in the shell - or maybe in the whole chicken, and sardines
>in the aluminum can.

As for the dirt on veggies I don't care for it until it crunches too
much while chewing and becomes disturbing. Then I might wash it off.

Bananas: Tested them with the peel already and found it palatable but
the mechanical sensation of softness was better without it.

Eggs: In an earlier post I wrote about an instincto beginner in my
town who liked to eat the eggs "all in one": he just put a whole egg
in his mouth, cracked it with his teeth and ate it. Without spitting
out the shell of course.
After all the shell must be an excellent source of calcium, right?

Sardines in the can: Good luck with Alzheimer's disease then. :-\
Silly example by the way. :-(

It has become a habit of mine to always try the skins of fruits and
vegetables and eat it if it feels good. The same for the allegedly
toxic seeds.
Examples:
- avocados with a thin skin taste very nice if eaten completely
- rambutan is good together with its seed
- grapes together with the seed stop earlier than without and
  it is a terrible task to get/spit the seeds out
- bread fruit can be good together with its skin
- the same for kohlrabi - peeling is time consuming and difficult
- watermelon is almost always luminous together with the seeds

This all requires that the skins are untreated of course.

Best instinctive regards,

Stefan