RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:22:41 -0600
Kirt:
>Did you happen to try a pitahaya while you were in Columbia?

Susan:
>I don't think so; please describe this. One of my favorite foods there was
>the chontaduro, a round, orange fruit, the size of a golfball, although I
>believe it was boiled before eating.

Stumped me with that one. :( ;)

A pitahaya is the fruit of a cactus which has the same general shape as the
common "cactus fruit" (or "prickly pear" or "tuna") but is not covered with
needles but instead covered with large overlapping scales, kind of. Inside
is melting white pulp with hundreds of small black edible seeds. Very
sucrosey flavor. And I was on the toilet an hour later--whoosh ;)

>Great list!

It has its moments.

Cheers,
Kirt