RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:57:30 -0700
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>:
>Do you find any differenc in digestibility between the cow's cheese and the
>goat's?

Tom;
No major difference in digestibility for me. For me, cheese produces little
if any mucus - less mucus than avocados do. I do have a hard time with goat
milk feta cheese - it might be the salt content, which is always a
problem for me. However, I have tried (pasteurized) sheep milk feta, and
it was easier to digest. (I tried it once; won't repeat that experiment as
the cheese was very salty - packed in brine.) So maybe the salt in the goat
feta is not the problem? A cow milk feta (considered an imitation feta)
is available here, but I have not tried it - it is made from pasteurized,
not raw, milk.

Goat cheddar vs cow cheddar - I don't notice any difference in digestibility,
though the goat cheddar is sharper in taste, which I like.

The other raw cheeses mentioned - colby, swiss, monterey jack - are only
available here in cow milk, not goat milk.

I find that cheese is much easier to digest if you let it warm up to room
temperature (i.e., don't eat it refrigerator-cold). You can also shred it,
and it makes a nice topping for salads, or use as an ingredient in salad
dressings.

Regards,
Tom Billings